Thread poster: Magellan Kamelan
Magellan Kamelan
Magellan Kamelan  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:40
English
+ ...
Apr 11, 2013

Hello,

Can anyone tell me how to count words on an excel sheet ? Is there any standard words count tool.

Thanks

Magellan

Noura Tawil
Noura Tawil  Identity Verified
Syria
Local time: 15:40
Member (2013)
English to Arabic
Old fashioned way Apr 11, 2013

Hi,
I just copy the whole text by pressing (Ctrl+A) to select everything, then (Ctrl+C) to copy, open a Ms Word file, paste everything (Ctrl+V) , look at the bar at the bottom of your word page, and there you can see the total word count (Or from the word file's properties).
There could be other more sophisticated ways, but.. well , that's a quick fix
Noura

[Edited at 2013-04-11 09:18 GMT]

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 14:40
Spanish to English
+ ...
Counts vary Apr 11, 2013

To my knowledge, there is no "standard" method or application to perform an accurate wordcount on EL files. I have tried several programs or methods, and find that the best way for me is to convert the XL file into PDF then Word or txt and use the MS Word counter.

Propietary programs that I've tried out include Omnipage, Anycount ... and a few others I can't remember right now... and they all give varying word counts for XL (one of them even gave me different results on different P
... See more
To my knowledge, there is no "standard" method or application to perform an accurate wordcount on EL files. I have tried several programs or methods, and find that the best way for me is to convert the XL file into PDF then Word or txt and use the MS Word counter.

Propietary programs that I've tried out include Omnipage, Anycount ... and a few others I can't remember right now... and they all give varying word counts for XL (one of them even gave me different results on different PCs for the same file!).

I usually try to get clients to accept an hourly rate for any formats except Word, as they invariably cause delays and other processing problems that I don't consider part of the translation process per se.

PS: You can try out Anycount free for 30 days here: http://www.anycount.com/

[Edited at 2013-04-11 09:30 GMT]
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Agree Apr 11, 2013

Noura Tawil wrote:

Hi,
I just copy the whole text by pressing (Ctrl+A) to select everything, then (Ctrl+C) to copy, open a Ms Word file, paste everything (Ctrl+V) , look at the bar at the bottom of your word page, and there you can see the total word count (Or from the word file's properties).
There could be other more sophisticated ways, but.. well , that's a quick fix
Noura

[Edited at 2013-04-11 09:18 GMT]

Yes, and it saves messing about and wasting time trying out different softwares.

Luisa Tono
Luisa Tono  Identity Verified
Italy
Czech to Italian
+ ...
count Apr 11, 2013

I always count exactly as Noura does. It is fast and simply.

Bye!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word count on excel sheet

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »