Spell checking a Word document with cells
Auteur du fil: Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexique
Local time: 23:08
allemand vers anglais
Oct 20, 2002

There\'s probably no way to do it, but I thought I\'d ask anyway. I\'m translating a very long document in MS Word that has the German text on the left side and the English translation on the right. The text is divided into cells. If I did a standard spellcheck, I\'d be clicking on \"ignore* till the cows came home. Does anyone know if there\'s a way to program the spellchecker to ignore the German?

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Allemagne
Local time: 07:08
anglais vers allemand
+ ...
Set the languages accordingly Oct 20, 2002

Hi Kim,

Your reference to \"cells\" would indicate that this is a Word table (if not, I\'d convert it if possible).

You can set different languages for the two columns; assuming the standard document language (as set in your Normal.dot template) is English, highlight the column containing German and set the language to \"German\" (\"Tools - Language\"). Alternatively, set the language to \"no verification\" (or whatever the command is in your Word version).
<
... See more
Hi Kim,

Your reference to \"cells\" would indicate that this is a Word table (if not, I\'d convert it if possible).

You can set different languages for the two columns; assuming the standard document language (as set in your Normal.dot template) is English, highlight the column containing German and set the language to \"German\" (\"Tools - Language\"). Alternatively, set the language to \"no verification\" (or whatever the command is in your Word version).

HTH - best regards, Ralf
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Allemagne
Membre (2003)
polonais vers allemand
+ ...
Suplement Oct 20, 2002

I´m sure Ralf is right, and you got a long document fomatted as a table with english text left and german on the right.

If it is so and the formatting does not matter, you can define one style for english and another for the german text.

Place the cursor in a cell with english text, possibly with standard formating (not bold, italic etc.) and select Extras - Languages - Englisch. Then click in the templates field on your tool-bar and simply write \"English\" there
... See more
I´m sure Ralf is right, and you got a long document fomatted as a table with english text left and german on the right.

If it is so and the formatting does not matter, you can define one style for english and another for the german text.

Place the cursor in a cell with english text, possibly with standard formating (not bold, italic etc.) and select Extras - Languages - Englisch. Then click in the templates field on your tool-bar and simply write \"English\" there, then push \"Enter\". You have just defined the template \"English\" with english spell checking.

Highlight a cell with german text, set the language to German and repat the above described, typing \"German\". Now you have two templates for English and German each.

Place the cursor slight above the first cell in the table on the left. The cursor should change to an vertical arrow, showing down. If you left click now, you can highlight the left side of your whole table (or of the table until the next break). Select the template \"English\" for the left side. In the same way select the right side of the table and select \"German\" for those cells.

This has the advantage, that in case of using TRADOS the languages are not mixed with each other, what causes big problems with fonts. In your particular case it may be not such a disastes as it is in case of Polish, where special characters are lost, if you do not define the laguage properly.

Best

Jerzy
Collapse

Sarah Brenchley
Sarah Brenchley  Identity Verified
espagnol vers anglais
+ ...
I agree Oct 20, 2002

I agree with Ralph. If this is a table, position the curson and select column then choose the language. Do the same for the second column. If you have Word 2000 or one that autodetects the language, set it to show up the mistaked and then you can look over the document and see which words have been underlined and correct them like that.

Good luck.

Sarah.

Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italie
Membre (2002)
anglais vers italien
+ ...
Quick workaround... Oct 20, 2002

... or just select the cells you want to check, and then click on the spelling icon on the toolbar. The spelling will be limited to the selection.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-10-21 08:44 ]

Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexique
Local time: 23:08
allemand vers anglais
AUTEUR DU FIL
Thanks for the help everyone. Oct 21, 2002

Why didn\'t I think of that?

Raluca Ion (X)
Raluca Ion (X)  Identity Verified
Royaume-Uni
Local time: 06:08
anglais vers roumain
+ ...
the stupid way Oct 21, 2002

That separate languages for each column doesn\'t really work for me, for some reason. Sooner or later I get words from the other column in the spell check. So I do it the Stone Age way...put the column I need to check in a new word document, spell check it, and then paste it back in over the old one .

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Spell checking a Word document with cells

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »